We're looking for someone to join us as our Treasurer.
If you relish the challenge of helping a small charity achieve broad and statutory responsibilities in the most effective way, maximising reach to beneficiaries within a limited funding envelope, and helping to set a vision for growth, this could be the opportunity for you!
We encourage applications from anyone who can meet the criteria, regardless of gender, race, age, disability, sexuality or religion.
What are we looking for?
- Experience of strategic and operational financial management or leadership
- Previous experience of working at Board level is desirable
- Good understanding of charitable governance structures
- Commitment towards the main aims and purposes of Healthwatch Milton Keynes
- Inclusive and collegiate approach to Trustee-ship and Committee Chairing
- Experience of leadership in a charitable or public sector context is desirable
What does the role involve?
- Chairing the Finance Committee
- Keeping Trustees informed about their financial duties and responsibilities and support interpreting financial data to trustees
- Acting as the leading interface between Trustees and Chief Executive on financial matters
- Maintaining strong relationships with the Chair and Chief Executive acting as a sounding board when required
- Monitoring Healthwatch Milton Keynes’ financial governance ensuring financial practice is legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice
- Monitoring the financial health and sustainability of Healthwatch Milton Keynes and advising on the strategic direction of funding and fundraising opportunities
- Overseeing the maintenance of proper financial records and procedures, as well as the production of necessary financial reports and returns
- Ensuring that the charity applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives
- Present Healthwatch Milton Keynes’ Accounts to members at the Annual General Meeting.
Interested but not sure if your experience/skills match up?
You may not have a formal financial qualification, but you may instead have work experience in managing budgets and feel that you could help make a difference you’re your support. Additional training can be considered for the role, should it be required. This role would suit someone with financial experience looking to develop themselves further to expand their knowledge and expertise.
You’ll be compensated for any travel to meetings and events.
You’ll have a valuable role supporting us to ensure that we make the best use of our resources to champion the voices of people using health and social care in Milton Keynes.
You'll be making a positive impact for people in your local area by ensuring we remain sustainable.
You’ll also have the opportunity to meet people and build relationships with trustees, staff and other volunteers
You can build on your governance, leadership and strategy skills within a small, friendly organisation that has really robust governance for its size.
Our offices are based in Milton Keynes, MK14 6GD, but your role will mainly be home-based. Ideally, you'll live in Milton Keynes but surrounding areas will be considered.
What is the time commitment?
We estimate a Treasurer would need to give 1-3 hours a week to support the work of the Board. This would typically involve some email correspondence, authorising invoices, approving banking payments, reviewing expenditure and cash flow reports and meetings with the CEO. There will be some months when there are Board meetings, Finance meetings and our Annual General Meeting that might mean a few extra hours.
Set meetings: Board meetings are 4 times a year on Wednesdays and Finance Committee Meetings 4 times a year on Thursdays.
Deadline 8 Apr 2022.
Please email your CV and cover letter detailing why you are interested in this role and your relevant experience, to
Interviews will be held with the CEO and two other Trustees following the close of the advert.