Healthwatch Milton Keynes facilitated two focus groups with a view to understanding the impact of the changes to gluten free prescribing on participants.
Based on participants' experiences, the report highlighted the following recommendations:
- HWMK would like Milton Keynes Clinical Commissioning Group to consider taking a consistent approach to prescribing, in line with The National Health Services (General Medical Services Contracts)(Prescription of Drugs etc.) (Amendment) Regulations 2018 for the prescribing of gluten-free (GF) foods so Milton Keynes residents have equality of access.
- We recognise that the CCG have reviewed their position in light of the National Survey, but would ask that they consider this report, and its recommendations, in the prescribing group.
- Ensure that patients have easy access to information about their right to request their GP make an IFR and are not discouraged from doing so.
- Add a link to the Joint Trusts Formulary website to the CCG website.
- Review the IFR process to ensure GPs treat patients consistently and that the process itself is not a barrier to identifying and supporting genuine need.
- As all Coeliac patients require a Gluten Free diet, a main barrier to receiving treatment is the ability to afford GF Foods. HWMK would ask that, because of this, socio economic factors be allowed as part of the IFR.