From 8 June 2020, dentists have been given the green light to reopen as long as they have social distancing measures and the right personal protective equipment in place.
As a result, not all services or practices will be available from this date and there will be fewer appointments available.
The NHS has produced a helpful information poster on dental services during covid:
How do I find a dentist?
To get the help you need you can:
- Phone your local dentist to get information about their opening hours and advice on where you can go to get the care you need
- If you don’t have a dentist or your dentist is closed, you can contact the 8am-8pm service or any local dental practice. You can also phone NHS 111. Translation services are available.
- If you are deaf or hard of hearing visit https://interpreternow.co.uk/nhs111
Healthwatch Milton Keynes has been informed by the NHS England NHS Improvement (East of England) Head of Commissioning for Dentistry that during COVID-19 the 8-8 service in Milton Keynes should be accepting NHS patients for dental treatment other than routine check-ups. However, we are aware that some people are facing difficulties, so if you’re struggling to find an NHS dentist which is taking on new patients, please contact us .
Do not visit a dentist without an appointment.
Practices will need to prioritise their patients based upon their needs. The British Dental Association advises:
- If you call to make an appointment, you will be asked some screening questions. You’ll be asked those same questions again at your appointment
- You will probably be asked to use hand sanitiser or to wash your hands when you arrive (and again before you leave)
- Social distancing measures will be in place in the waiting rooms
- Appointments will be managed to allow for social distancing between patients. That might mean that you’re offered fewer options for scheduling your appointment.
Healthwatch Milton Keynes has received a lot requests for Advice and Information about NHS Dentistry during COVID-19.
Tracy, Deputy CEO at Healthwatch Milton Keynes, answers many of your questions in the videos below.
If you need further advice and signposting, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01908 698800.