My top 5 achievements from my first six months in post
from Maxine Taffetani, Healthwatch Milton Keynes CEO.
My first six months as Chief Executive of Healthwatch MK have been an illuminating and enjoyable journey, meeting many stakeholders across Milton Keynes. From those who access services, to those who pay for and provide them, it has been a fantastic opportunity to get a better understanding of how people experience Health and Care services in Milton Keynes. Healthwatch Milton Keynes has a very broad remit, and one of our many challenges will continue to be how we prioritise the issues that matter and affect local people the most. We have been successful in making some real impacts in a number of areas.
Here are my top 5 highlights of the last six months:
- Undertaking our first set of Enter and View activities at Milton Keynes Hospital
- Recommending changes to how people are communicated to when they are making choices about their pathway out of hospital and into residential care
- Talking to the Health and Wellbeing Board about how Healthwatch can support you, and feeding in to the consultation for the Milton Keynes Health and Wellbeing strategy which is launching soon
- Linking up with Milton Keynes Clinical Commissioning Group (MK CCG) to look at how communication can be improved between MK CCG and Patient Participation Groups, at GP Practices
- Learning that diagnostic overshadowing (when you have a medical issue that may be mistakenly linked to a pre-existing long-term condition), and a lack of mental health support for people with long term health conditions can have life-limiting consequences for some people. We are going to explore this further over the coming months.