The Government is investing an extra £20bn a year in the NHS until 2023. The NHS has produced a Long Term Plan, setting out all the things it wants health services to do better for people across the country.
For these plans to work, the NHS needs to shape local plans based on local needs. We asked people #WhatWouldYouDo to improve local services in Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes (BLMK).
We heard from nearly 1000 people about the changes they would like to see. These include:
- Quicker and easier access to GP appointments around the clock
- More investment in mental health services
- Shorter waiting times for appointments with professionals
- More choice on where they receive care with better local provision of services
- And improved social care to enable people to continue to live in their own homes.
As a result, the NHS has committed to take the following steps:
- To plan services and pathways from a patient perspective to allow better access to services and support 24/7
- Implement better communication and signposting
- To investigate the gaps highlighted in the report to help determine future activity and further engagement.